Day 9: Favorite Holiday Recipe
There are certain foods that are just part of the holidays, you know? Those certain recipes that it's only socially acceptable to make starting a few days before Thanksgiving through New Year's Day. Sometimes we might sneak a batch in sometime during the summer, but these recipes just taste better in November and December!
One such classic recipe in my family (and in Hub's, too!):
3 c. Bisquick or Pioneer baking mix
1 lb. HOT sausage (we use Tennessee Pride or Wamplers)
1 block (8 oz) Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese, shredded (you can also buy the pre-shredded stuff, but I MUCH prefer shredding myself--the texture is just better this way)
You can use either your KitchenAid stand mixer with the dough hook, or your bare hands to mix this goodness up. Bare hands is how I've done this all my life. Then I got the stand mixer. And now I don't get sausage stuck under my fingernails...
- Put Bisquick, uncooked sausage and cheese into a large bowl or the mixing bowl for your KitchenAid.
- Add hot sauce and red pepper to taste. Remember, if you bought hot sausage, you're adding even more kick with those!
- Begin mixing by hand, or turn mixer on low to combine.
- If the mix seems dry, add milk in small amounts until all Bisquick, cheese and sausage is incorporated. You should be able to shape the dough into one large ball without it crumbling.
- Roll the dough into ~1.5" balls.
- Place about 1" apart on a non-stick cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350 for 15 minutes
- Try to let them cool slightly before devouring!
What's your favorite recipe? Are sausage balls part of your holiday fare?