Pages

Thursday, February 14, 2013

On the Lenten Season

The Lenten Season is the 40 days (not including Sundays) between Ash Wednesday (which was yesterday) and Easter. It is a season of preparation for Easter. Lent is probably most-often associated with those of the Catholic faith, but United Methodists observe the season, too.



Individuals who observe Lent often decide to give something up for these 40 days. Sweets, carbs, caffeine, meat, foul language, and Facebook are all popular things to fast from. Instead of (or sometimes in addition to) fasting, some individuals also decide to add something to their daily routines to strengthen their relationship with God. One of my dear friends decided to read through the New Testament during Lent this year, and another dear friend created a Google calendar with each daily reading. I now receive an email each morning with the day's reading schedule, usually about 3 chapters.

As I was thinking about and praying about Lent this year, the email appeared in my inbox inviting me to read through the New Testament. And as I was considering this option, I knew I wanted to be able to take notes or journal throughout the process. Which is ultimately what led me back to this spot in the blogosphere.

I'm not surprising myself in this, but I'm already a bit behind. However, I'm not going to beat myself up or rush through things. I know the next 40 days are going to be very hectic with work and all sorts of commitments, but I'm going to do my best to read and journal each day. And even if it takes me longer than 40 days to work through it, I am going to read the New Testament this Spring.

If you're interested in following the reading plan, I would be happy to invite you to share the Google calendar my friend created. Just leave a comment with your email address, and I'll invite you as soon as I can. To get started, Wednesday's reading was Matthew 1 - 3 and today's reading is Matthew 4 - 6.

I'll be back soon with my thoughts on the first set of readings.
  post signature

No comments: